PROREIT is led by an experienced management team with a proven track record of value creation. The REIT’s management team have, in aggregate, over 50 years of experience in acquiring, managing and financing Canadian real estate, totaling approximately $4.2 billion of commercial real estate transactions.
James W. Beckerleg
Trustee, President, Chief Executive Officer
From May 2010 until 2012, Mr. Beckerleg was the President and Chief Executive Officer of CANMARC Real Estate Investment Trust, a publicly-traded REIT with a nationally diversified portfolio of commercial properties.
From 1995 to 2010, Mr. Beckerleg was President of Belwest Capital Management Corp., a private consulting firm which provided consulting and management services in the area of strategic advice and planning, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions to various clients, including but not limited to, Homburg Canada Inc., a private international real estate management company. From 2005 to 2009, Mr. Beckerleg also served as Executive Vice-President, Québec Region for Homburg Canada Inc.
Mr. Beckerleg has many years of experience in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and has served as an executive and director of several public companies, including CANMARC and several other companies in the real estate sector.
Mr. Beckerleg has a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics from McGill University (Montréal, Québec) and an MBA from Concordia University (Montréal, Québec).
Gordon G. Lawlor, CPA, CA
Executive Vice President, CFO and Secretary
- Mr. Lawlor was the Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer and Secretary of CANMARC Real Estate Invesment Trust from May 2010 until March 2012.
- From 2005 to 2010, Mr. Lawlor held senior management positions, including that of Chief Financial Officer with Homburg Canada Inc., a private international real estate management company.
- Prior to CANMARC and the Homburg group, Mr. Lawlor spent seven years at Emera Inc., a publicly traded utility company where he served in a number of senior management positions, including Director of Finance.
- Mr. Lawlor has a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics from Saint Mary’s University (Halifax, Nova Scotia) and received his Chartered Accountant designation in 1994.
Managing Director Operations
- From May 2012 until April 2013, Mr. O’Brien held the position of Director of Acquisitions at First Capital Realty. As the lead of the acquisitions team, he executed the acquisition strategy of First Capital Realty in the Quebec and Atlantic Canada markets. He directly co-ordinated and concluded the acquisition (and disposition) of 14 retail, medical office and development properties in Quebec and Atlantic Canada over his tenure of 12 months.
- From May 2010 until April 2012, he held the position of Senior Manager of Acquisitions at CANMARC Real Estate Investment Trust. With direct instructions from the CEO and CFO, he sourced, underwrote and closed all 43 post IPO acquisitions totalling 2,951,482 SF at a combined asset value of $650,576,000. He was the most senior non-executive employee, supported executives with numerous debt, equity and operational analysis and represented CANMARC on various commercial real estate industry panels.
- Prior to First Capital Realty and CANMARC, Mr. O’Brien was Vice President TD Securities where he directly originated and financed over $300,000,000 in commercial mortgage products for the TD CMBS (commercial mortgage-backed securities) program. Prior to TD Securities, He was Underwriter/Analyst CMBS for Merrill Lynch Canada where he directly participated in over $3 Billion of commercial mortgage underwriting and financing across Canada.
- Mr. O’Brien has a Bachelor of Arts degree from Mount Allison University (Sackville, New Brunswick) and completed his OACIQ and OREA Real Estate licensing education in 1996 and 1998.
Alison Schafer, CPA, CA
Director of Finance
- From June 2012 until June 2013, Ms. Schafer held the position of Director of Accounting at Cominar REIT. She was closely involved in the transition from CANMARC to Cominar REIT subsequent to Cominar’s acquisition of CANMARC in 2012. She was responsible for overseeing the accounting of the net operating income for the complete portfolio, representing approximately $5.5 billion of investment properties.
- From January 2011 until June 2012, she was the Controller of Quebec Operations at CANMARC. She was in charge of supervising the accounting of the Quebec based properties, representing approximately $1.2 billion or 65% of the REIT’s total assets.
- Prior to Cominar and CANMARC, Ms. Schafer spent eleven years at Richter, a prominent Montreal accounting firm, where she served in the assurance practice for nine years with a client base primarily in the real estate industry followed by two years of financial and transactional consulting including business assessments, liquidity analysis and due diligence work.
- Ms. Schafer has a Bachelor of Commerce and a Bachelor of Education from McGill University (Montreal, Quebec) and received her Chartered Accountant designation in 2003.