PROREIT's Board of Trustees is comprised of eight Trustees, five of whom are Independent Trustees. Pursuant to the Declaration of Trust, the Board of Trustees has established four committees: the Audit Committee, the Governance and Compensation Committee, the Nominating Committee and the Investment Committee.
Independent Trustee & Chair
Member of the Investment Committee, of the Nominating Committee and of the Governance and Compensation Committee
- Mr. Levitt has been a partner at EDEV Real Estate Advisors since 2005. EDEV Real Estate Advisors is a multi-faceted real estate consulting company offering development management, strategic planning and transaction services to clients.
- A past independent Trustee of CANMARC REIT from May 2010 until March 2012. Mr. Levitt served on several committees during his time with CANMARC, including the Audit Committee, the Governance and Nominating Committee, and the Investment Committee.
- From 1997 to 2005, Mr. Levitt served as a member of the senior management team of O&Y Properties Corporation with specific responsibility for O&Y’s acquisition and development programs, which over eight years grew from an asset base of $250 million to over $2 billion.
Member of Nominating Committee
- Mr. Aghar is the president of Crux Capital, a value-add real estate investor, developer and venture capital investor active across Canada. Since 2013, Crux and its partners have purchased over 3 million square feet of commercial property and have participated in over 1 million square feet of development.is the founder and President of Crux Capital Corporation.
- Mr. Aghar Peter was a founding partner, President and Chief Investment Officer of KingSett Capital and began his real estate career at GE Capital. He has been responsible for more than one hundred real estate transactions, totaling more than $10 billion in value, including investments in Canada, the United States and across the globe. Transactions involved equity investments, developments, joint ventures, structured and mezzanine debt, open and closed end private equity funds, as well as the privatization
and launch of public entities.
- A graduate of the University of Waterloo with an Honours Mathematics degree, Mr. Aghar participates on a variety of public and private boards and is a member of the Young Presidents’ Organization.
Member of the Investment Committee
- Mr. Chiara is President and sole owner of Group Mach Inc. He began his career in 1984 as a lawyer specializing in real estate transactions and corporate litigation. In 1999, he ceased practicing law and focused on real estate acquisitions and property development through Mach, a private holding company.
- Mach and its affiliates hold significant investments representing more than 6.5 million square feet of office buildings located in Montreal and throughout Québec, including the Stock Exchange Tower, the CIBC Tower, the Sun Life Building and the University Complex. Mach also renovated over one million square feet of obsolete office space in the Montreal region. Mach has built, developed and owns shopping centers in the Montreal region with a leasable area of over one and a half million square feet. In addition to office and commercial spaces, Mach owns seven million square feet of industrial space, residential and development properties and land for development.
- Mr. Chiara obtained his law degree from the University of Sherbrooke.
Member of Audit Committee
- Mr. Coté is a founder and managing member of Bluenose AC Investments Inc. an investment vehicle formed to invest in in real estate in Canada and United States. Bluenose is the exclusive investment manager and partner to BXR Group for Canadian real estate investments. BXR is a private equity fund based out of Europe. Bluenose, for its own account, has invested in three development projects in Atlanta, two multi-family investments in the Houston area as well as one multi-family project in Atlanta. Bluenose and BXR have taken a 12.5% equity position in Storage Spot, a privately held self-storage group that focusses on developing new self-storage facilities across the GTA. Bluenose and BXR have agreed to take an 85% equity position in the development a 42 unit high-end luxury condominium project in Yorkville
- Prior to founding Bluenose, Mr. Coté spent five years in the Czech Republic working for RPG Real Estate, a division of BXR Group. During that time he oversaw the management and development of a 12,000 acre land portfolio as well as an investment in Tower Group A.S., a Danish listed company that owned 10,000 apartments in Germany. As CEO of Tower Group, he was responsible for all regulatory and compliance matters as well as lender relations. He also lead the acquisition of over 1,000 units of high quality apartments in Texas in partnership with Venterra Realty, a Toronto based real estate investment and asset manager.
- Mr. Coté holds an MBA from the Richard Ivey School of Business and a Bachelor’s degree from HEC Montréal.
Member of the Investment Committee
Ms. Jadavji founded Lotus Pacific Investments Inc. in 1995. She is responsible for setting LPI's strategic direction and overseeing acquisition, disposition, asset management and capital sourcing activities. Since founding LPI, she has acquired, developed, managed and sold over $1 billion of industrial, office, retail, hotel and multi-family residential real estate properties. Most recently, she led LPI’s strategic industrial portfolio initiative, acquiring and repositioning over 3.5 million square feet of industrial properties across Western and Central Canada. LPI’s private equity partners include high net worth and institutional investors such as KingSett Capital, LaSalle Investment Management, and GE Capital.
Ms. Jadavji has over 27 years of commercial real estate experience at LPI and Colliers International.
Ms. Jadavji received her Business Degree in Finance and Urban Land Economics from the Sauder School of Business at the University of British Columbia.
Gérard A. Limoges, CM, FCPA, FCA, Adm.A
Chair of the Audit Committee and member of the Auditing Committee and the Governance and Compensation Committee
- Mr. Limoges was an independent Trustee of CANMARC REIT from May 2010 until March 2012. He served on several committees during his time with CANMARC, including the Audit Committee (as Chairman), the Governance and Nominating Committee, and the Compensation Committee.
- Mr. Limoges is currently a corporate director and sits on the board of directors of several public companies. He is also a member of the board of directors of private companies and not-for-profit organizations, including the Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal.
- Mr. Limoges was formerly deputy Chairman of Ernst & Young Canada until retirement in September 1999, after a career of 37 years with this firm. He has vast experience in the areas of accounting, audit, mergers and acquisitions and has worked for clients in a wide range of industries including service companies, retail, communications, transportation, real estate, financial institutions, insurance, manufacturing and pulp and paper.
- Mr. Limoges is a member of the Institute of Corporate Directors, of the Québec Order of CPA, of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants and of the Québec Order of Chartered Administrators.
- Mr. Limoges received the Order of Canada in 2002.
Ronald E. Smith, FCPA, FCA, ICD.D
Chair of the Governance and Compensation Committee and Member of the Audit Committee, of the Investment Committee, of the Nominating Committee
- Mr. Smith is the current Chair of the Nova Scotia Public Superannuation Plan. Board member of Alamos Gold Inc., an NYSE and TSX listed entity. For 10 years, from 2002 to 2012, he was also a member of the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board which manages over $270 billion of assets.
- Over the last 30 years, Mr. Smith has served on boards and audit committees of six Canadian public companies and was a member of the Advisory Board of Southwest Properties Ltd. He also serves on various not-for-profit boards and committees, including the Acadia University Board of Governors where he was chair from 2004 to 2009 and the national board of The Arthritis Society where he is currently Board Chair.
From 2000 to 2004, Mr. Smith was Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Emera Inc., a publicly-traded energy company, with responsibility for all financial functions; including risk management policies and oversight related to electric utility and fuel commodity trading businesses. From 1987 to 1999, He was Chief Financial Officer of MTT, a publicly-traded telecommunications company and had responsibility for all financial functions. Prior to MTT, he had a 16 year career at Clarkson Gordon/Woods Gordon (now Ernst & Young) including as a Partner in financial recovery and insolvency consulting in real estate, construction, financial services, and a variety of other industries.
Mr. Smith is a member of the Institute of Corporate Directors and is a Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nova Scotia.
James W. Beckerleg
Trustee, President, Chief Executive Officer
Chair of the Investment Committee and of the Nominating Committee
Mr. Beckerleg is also currently a Principal of Labec Realty Advisors Inc.
From May 2010 until 2012, Mr. Beckerleg was the President and Chief Executive Officer of CANMARC Real Estate Investment Trust, a publicly-traded REIT with a nationally diversified portfolio of commercial properties.
From 1995 to 2010, Mr. Beckerleg was President of Belwest Capital Management Corp., a private consulting firm which provided consulting and management services in the area of strategic advice and planning, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions to various clients, including but not limited to, Homburg Canada Inc., a private international real estate management company. From 2005 to 2009, Mr. Beckerleg also served as Executive Vice-President, Québec Region for Homburg Canada Inc.
Mr. Beckerleg has many years of experience in corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions and has served as an executive and director of several public companies, including CANMARC and several other companies in the real estate sector.
Mr. Beckerleg has a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics from McGill University (Montréal, Québec) and an MBA from Concordia University (Montréal, Québec).